Clear all

Porpora's Polifemo in concert, live from Moscow

19 Posts
3 Users
22 Likes
(@dinah)
Forum Champ
Topic starter  

A free live stream, courtesy of the Moscow Philharmonic Society in about half an hour, of Nicola Porpora's wonderful opera Polifemo. A concert performance featuring Julia Lezhneva and Max Emanuel Cencic, among many others:

Hope you manage to catch it live!

Jen reacted
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Wow!  No lack of passion in this performance!

Many thanks, Dinah, for the link.

Dinah reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dinah)
Forum Champ
Topic starter  

So, I have just finished watching this one, and let me tell you guys: IT. WAS. MAGNIFICENT !

A very passionate delivery, indeed, @Jen.

I was thrilled to see Julia Lezhneva listed among the cast, she's a brilliant young soprano, especially when singing Baroque repertoire (I like her very much, even though I'm not particularly enamored with sopranos as you might know).

And I'm thrilled to have found a new favourite countertenor :Yuriy Meninko (Aci in this performance). Simply superb 👌👏!

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dinah)
Forum Champ
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jen

Many thanks, Dinah, for the link.

My pleasure, darling. 🤗

ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Posted by: @dinah

IT. WAS. MAGNIFICENT !

Yes it was! Agreed: Yuriy Meninko was superb, and Julia Lezhneva’s voice control is almost unbelievable… and I loved Sreten Manojlović’s dark, moody portrayal of Polyphemus.  

Sadly, I had to leave the live stream before the end… I’m really hoping it will be available to catch up on YouTube tomorrow!

Dinah reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dinah)
Forum Champ
Topic starter  

and I loved Sreten Manojlović’s dark, moody portrayal of Polyphemus.  

Yes, me too, as much as I hate Polifemo (for being so mean to poor Aci!), I couldn't help but fall in love with Sreten's dark charm. 😉🤣

I’m really hoping it will be available to catch up on YouTube tomorrow!

Yep! The good people of the Moscow Philharmonic Society usually leave a copy of their live streams up for some time on the YouTube channel. I think you should be able to do that just fine.

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

I'm settling down to watch it on YouTube. I don't see any English subtitles but Wikipedia has what looks like a very helpful article to help me understand the action.

Meanwhile, I've been reminded of this sculptural group (Blinding of Polyphemus) from Emperor Tiberius's palace at Sperlonga in Lazio.

Dinah and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

I am also being reminded of Owen Brannigan singing "Ruddier than the cherry". I must look up a recording after I've finished watching this.

(It's not my favourite kind of singing, but the soprano is quite something! ... although the orchestra members look singularly unimpressed!)

Dinah and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

I'm confused as to who is singing what. This page Polifemo, Porpora | Moscow Philharmonic | Operabase has Lezhneva singing Nerea, but I think that was a different performance a few weeks ago. Is she Galatea on this video?

Dinah and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

I couldn’t help but imagine Sreten Manojlović singing O ruddier than the cherry!

Dinah reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Posted by: @hugh

Is she Galatea on this video?

Yes, challenged yestereve by the Russian subtitles, I wasn’t certain about this either.  A little research to do before I listen through to the end 🤔

Dinah reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dinah)
Forum Champ
Topic starter  

Lezhneva is Galatea, Sonja is Calipso, Dilyara is Nerea. For the gentlemen, Yuriy is Aci, Max is Ulysses, Sreten is the titular evil one 😜.

There was a bit of confusion in the middle, I think Max was supposed to sing an aria, went on stage, then left abruptly, then Julia sang an aria (the consensus amongst the good people in the live chat was that this performance is a mixture of the two versions of the opera, and that Max was perhaps confused 🤔). Also I noticed that the order of one of Aci's and Polifemo's arias were perhaps switched!

Here's a libretto in Italian, perhaps it would help (you could utilize Google translate, although it is often way off!):

http://www.librettidopera.it/polifemo1735/polifemo1735.html

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dinah)
Forum Champ
Topic starter  
Posted by: @hugh

(It's not my favourite kind of singing, but the soprano is quite something! ... although the orchestra members look singularly unimpressed!)

Now, I'm confused 😕 Which performance is that?

Hugh reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

So, between 9th November and 26th December Lezhneva and Dilyara swapped roles.

Dinah and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

I also noticed that Porpora and Pisendel, who were both mentioned here within an hour or two yesterday, were born within a year or so in the mid 1680s. It's remarkable how many prominent composers were born within (or almost within) that decade.

Dinah reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2