Select Page
Notifications
Clear all

Which streaming platform do you currently use? If you have access to both, please vote for the one you use the most. If you have access to neither, mention the one you use in the comments below. Poll is created on Oct 15, 2021

Which streaming platform do you currently use?

35 Posts
10 Users
61 Likes
(@nenad)

On topic, I ticked Apple Music in the poll, but this is actually not entirely true.Β 

In fact, most of the time I stream music from Tidal using Bluesound Node 2i. It supports Tidal streaming natively also does MQA unfolding. To be honest, there is no audible sonic improvement with MQA compared to CD, at least to my ears.Β 

Another way to listen to music online is to stream from Apple Music via my old iPhone SE. I use camera adapter and a USB cable to connect its digital output to the USB-B input on my Denon PMA 2500NE amplifier. This was how I used to listen to Primephonic back then. It is a nice setup although a bit less comfortable than the former one - the SE's screen is small and the streaming can drain the battery after 3-4 hours of playing.Β 

A desktop setup has yet to be (re)configured, hopefully in the next few months. My old ATH-M50 on-ear headphones are ready to be replaced with an over-ear headphones set and a separate DAC-amp. I will probably ask for help/suggestions here when the time comes.Β 

And finally, my vinyls and CD's are alive and well Smile Β . There are some 600+ pieces combined. I don't listen to them too often though. But when I do, there is a kind of magic that streaming will never be able to conjure.Β 

Dinah and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Posted by: @nenad

And finally, my vinyls and CD's are alive and well Smile Β . There are some 600+ pieces combined. I don't listen to them too often though. But when I do, there is a kind of magic that streaming will never be able to conjure.Β 

Yes indeed, there remains a special pleasure in listening to vinyl.  I enjoy the sound, and the ritual, and the album covers too 😊

Nenad and Dinah reacted
ReplyQuote
(@clive)
Chatty

@jen @nenad

I cannot agree with you, Jen, about the 'special pleasure' of vinyl.Β  The care needed to ensure that a record kept its 'as new' condition was something that I was glad to see the back of when CDs arrived.Β  Poor pressing quality was a constant problem; I think the record shop lived in fear for a few days after I bought a record, in case I returned it as faulty. Often the fault was surface noise, which was frequently identical on a second copy - I remember a Leonora 3 with a loud swish that started at a certain point.Β  Sometimes there would be groove damage leading to spluttering - Decca had a period when several records I bought suffered from this.Β  End-of-side distortion could also be an issue.Β  This was an inevitable occurrence to some degree, due to the slower surface speed on the inner radius of a record, often coupled with a high modulation at the end of a work.Β  If the stamper was worn, it could be excruciating.Β  I remember a Stainer's Crucifixion where this was the case. A replacement of this record (a reissue) was identical.Β  The record shop had a copy of the same record before it was reissued on another label, and this proved fine. Pressings were sometimes off-centre, introducing audible wow, especially where there was a long-held note at the end of the side (such as in Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade).Β  I overcame this by carefully filing the hole on one side so that when this side of the hole, which I marked with an arrow, was pushed against the spindle so that the record was correctly centred.

I only infrequently played records after I bought a CD player and had built up a significant collection of CDs.Β  Early CDs often sounded hard and shrill because record companies were still using microphone placements which compensated for the deficiencies of transfer to vinyl records, but they eventually learned how to record well for CD.

I have got rid of most of my records, but have retained some(about 150), but I have disconnected and removed my player to another room, where it is storage, not connected to anything.Β  I have hardly played a CD since I started streaming - why would I need to?Β  Finding a work online is usually easier than finding it on CD, especially if the work is on a CD alongside works by other composers, and I cannot remember what the other works are, or where it is filed!

Dinah, Jen and Hugh reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

@clive ... and we no longer have to remove the dust!

I admit that I occasionally listen to mp3s that I made from our LPs but only when I've no other way of hearing those recordings. I miss LP sleeves and the larger printed librettos that came inside opera boxes, but otherwise I assume that the "special pleasure" of vinyl stems largely from its imperfections. it's extraordinary how much aficionados are prepared to pay!

Dinah, Clive and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

For me, the rituals associated with playing vinyl are all part of the pleasure; keeping those LPs pristine, taking care of the stylus and placing it on the disk. Β It’s a bit like the pleasure of the (slow) ritual of making a really good cup of coffee.

I, too, rarely play CDs these days, but continue to enjoy the sound of vinyl for reasons that are not easy quantify. Β I might say that, to my ears, the quantisation inherent in digital recordings has a tendency to overtones that are not quite in tune with the fundamental, and I struggle with that. Β But, in truth, I suspect it’s simply nostalgia? Β 

[And fortunately my LPs are all quite ancient so none of them were expensive]

jchokey, Dinah, Hugh and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3