Clear all

Choristers' memories

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@capriccio)
Stalwart Admin
Topic starter  

Today, I thought of a piece that I haven't heard in 45 years, when I performed it with the Sydney University Musical Society. It's Randall Thompson's 'The Peaceable Kingdom'. Anyone know it? Anyone know Randall Thompson?

Anyway, I searched it out on Idagio and played it, and the alto line came out of my mouth without a single hiccup. I remembered each note. I even remembered where I sat when we were rehearsing it and the tone of our conductor's voice when he talked about his favourite passages. I anticipated the passages I loved to sing by simply looking at the names of each chorus.

For choristers and former choristers - is it like this for you? Do you remember each work you've performed. Can you pluck that pesky starting note for a chorus out of the air (the alto a in Dixit's Juravit Dominus)? Could you sneak into the choir stalls and pass as a well-rehearsed member in a performance today?

I remember it all. Christ lag in Todesbanden. Jesu, meine Freude. Verdi's Requiem.

And then there's Handel's Dixit Dominus. With it, I jump from the alto to the tenor to the second soprano to the bass line (an octave higher), rather like someone who is fluently multi-lingual and mixes several languages in the same sentence. When I performed Dixit at school (twice), I sang alto one time, second sop another, and I'd sing the tenor line while playing the bass line on the piano during rehearsals to try to whip those recalcitrant schoolboys into line! It's all still there in my brain.

Oh, and for those who are interested, here's The Peaceable Kingdom. Some of it I love and was a true delight to sing; some of it I never fancied and still don't.

https://app.idagio.com/albums/randall-thompson-ye-shall-have-a-song

https://music.apple.com/us/album/randall-thompson-ye-shall-have-a-song/970737290

Topic Tags
(@jchokey)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @capriccio

Today, I thought of a piece that I haven't heard in 45 years, when I performed it with the Sydney University Musical Society. It's Randall Thompson's 'The Peaceable Kingdom'. Anyone know it? Anyone know Randall Thompson?

I don't know that piece, or much of Thompson, but I love his second symphony.  I'll check "The Peaceable Kingdom" out though!  Possibly tonight!

capriccio reacted
ReplyQuote