Clear all

[Sticky] What are you listening to tonight?! 🤔

207 Posts
9 Users
324 Likes
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

‎Beethoven: Piano Trios, Op. 70 No. 2, Op. 97 "Archduke" by Isabelle Faust, Alexander Melnikov & Jean-Guihen Queyras on Apple Music

This is Beethoven chamber music played with great gusto on gut strings and an 1828 piano. The Archduke trio is paired, not as one might expect with the Ghost trio Op 70 no 1, but with the much less familiar Op 70 no 2. I've seen this work described as "lovable ... with a mellow intimate tone". Lovable certainly, but mellow only in parts in this spirited and enjoyable performance. Great playing of a fine piece. Highly recommended.

ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/beethoven-string-quartets-op-18-nos-4-6/1609101459?ls

Continuing the gutsy Beethoven chamber music theme. I'm loving their playing. I hope they record all the Beethoven quartets in due course.

jchokey and Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Posted by: @hugh

I hope they record all the Beethoven quartets in due course

I think there’s a good chance that they will.  The release notes of this album and their earlier recording of Op.18 1-3 seem to hint at that.  And they’ve already recorded Op.95.

Chiaroscuro is perhaps my favourite of all string quartets - I love their sound and stunning musicianship. And Alina Ibragimova is such an extraordinary soloist, yet she blends in perfectly as part of the team.  

Hugh reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jchokey)
Trusted Member

Last night, we listened (and watched) the Oregon Symphony's livestream of its Monday evening performance, which consisted of:

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis

Gabriel Kahane: Heirloom (Oregon Symphony co-commission)

Beethoven: Symphony No. 6, “Pastoral”

Performance was great and I appreciated some of the livestreaming 'extras' (such as the conductor-composer conversation before the show and the composer-soloist coversation during the intermission.  However, I feel our in-home wi-fi, though upgraded last year, struggled a bit with a HQ livestreamed performance of both audio and video, as there were some clicks/pops/sputters throughout.  

Jen and Hugh reacted
ReplyQuote
(@capriccio)
Stalwart Admin

I love The New York Times' classical music series "Five minutes that will make you love...". Does anyone else follow it? A bunch of knowledgable folk say what they love about a particular piece, there's a recording to listen to, and a Spotify list with all the works. The series started off with Five minutes that will make you love classical music, and then followed up with articles about specific types of music or instruments. I hadn't heard the one about the flute (and when I see the date it was published - January 6th, 2021 - I'm not surprised that other things caught my attention), but I read/listened to it today and it's lovely. I'm sure you'll appreciate it, @jen, and probably have works you might have included if asked.

I think you need a Times subscription to read these, but as a subscriber I'm allowed to "gift" 10 articles each month. So here's one of my gifts:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/06/arts/music/five-minutes-classical-music-flute.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuomT1JKd6J17Vw1cRCfTTMQmqxCdw_PIxftm3iWna3DMDm4ciO0PH5PH_lrWZKEkadot0nGeRdlcLLI0Afd2x_REPkdkT0ytv4CFk9ELJzgppMSzQmYyldrrbIwPzAXLPCO_Ofstg_q2pQ6HOzy9RqHUhnElc1lnvcZvcVi13SFbzrPPRecjxoF6ifZ2UZ99FTdWZjKY_KW9U2UIM9WEbRvf7QUwSrsZDWmVxYjAnupGJAZCClvGT2d95HI-775fPNAWOKX9K30waZa0wOVRWiEzctDfV9BmTJPUlr5qrbfKtRWIrcKxzP8xH6xT16jW3uCd2cOyfQ64mulDtpKgiQ&smid=em-share

PS. Sorry I haven't been on much. Covid knocked me out for much of two months and I've been playing catch-up ever since.

jchokey, Dinah, Hugh and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jchokey)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @capriccio

I love The New York Times' classical music series "Five minutes that will make you love...". Does anyone else follow it? ....

PS. Sorry I haven't been on much. Covid knocked me out for much of two months and I've been playing catch-up ever since.

Thanks for the tip.  I did not know about the series but I will check it out, as I am a Times subscriber.  

Sorry to learn that you were hit with the COVID.  Hope you're feeling better.  I've not been around for a while as well, although for different reasons (more related to work and other commitments).

ReplyQuote
(@jchokey)
Trusted Member

So, tonight's listening is by a composer I have never encountered before, Ireland's Hamilton Harty.

I was intrigued by this largely because of the name of the piece.  I thought it started wonderfully, but was surprised by the martial spirit of much of it   However, this was clarified by reading Harty's introduction to the score, where he notes that "Wild Geese" was a term used to refer to a brigade of Irish exiles who fought for France during the war of War of Austrian Succession in the mid-18th century.  And apparently this piece was inspired by two poems by a 19th century Irish writer about them.  Silly me for thinking it would be a tone poem about actual geese. Smile

This post was modified 8 months ago 5 times by jchokey

Dinah, Jen and Hugh reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jchokey)
Trusted Member

For the record, I have the Naxos recording of this and actually much preferred the second piece on it (simply called "In Ireland"), which is a short, slow orchestral piece that is a lovely expressive showpiece for a flute soloist and the harp (Apparently, there is also a version of it that's just a duet for flute and piano.)  I was vaguely reminded of Vaughan Williams "Fantasia on Greensleeves" at several moments, although it definitely has a more "Irish" than "English" sound, IMHO.

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by jchokey

Dinah, capriccio, Jen and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Posted by: @jchokey

I was vaguely reminded of…

Sometimes I can’t put my finger on what it is a piece reminds me of, or exactly why, but it often sparks a musical mystery tour.

And so it was earlier this week, hearing Vivaldi’s cello concerto RV 419 on the radio.  

https://app.idagio.com/recordings/25757209

I love the 3rd movement - what a great way to start an adventure! - but what was it reminding me of?

Probably cello, and quite likely A minor, too.  I was starting to think this might be another sort of wild goose chase… until… yes, it is the first movement of Wq 170 by CPE Bach:

https://app.idagio.com/recordings/25636194

From here, Jean-Guihen Queyras took the tour down an entirely unrelated track to J.S.Bach, aided and abetted by John Coltrane and Raphaël Imbert:

https://app.idagio.com/recordings/34990876

How dreamy is that improvisation on the 5th Cello Suite?

And finally on to this:

https://app.idagio.com/recordings/36621807

There are a few tracks to fast-forward over, but so much to love on both the Complices and Bach-Coltrane albums.

A very happy journey!

Dinah, capriccio and jchokey reacted
ReplyQuote
 Hugh
(@hugh)
Forum Champ

Posted by: @jen

She [Anna Lucia Richter] seems to have an extraordinary range and an incredibly versatile voice

Well, here she is singing a recitative and aria (Schlummert ein) from Bach cantata 82 Ich habe genug .... but not as a bass!

‎Bach Privat by Andreas Staier, Anna Lucia Richter, Petra Müllejans & Roel Dieltiens on Apple Music

The album is an imagined collection of pieces that might have been performed in the Bach household.

Jen and capriccio reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Posted by: @hugh

The album is an imagined collection of pieces that might have been performed in the Bach household.

What a delight it must have been to be present at a Bach Family soirée… thanks, Hugh, for recommending this album.

And these cantata reductions are lovely 😊.  I’m used to hearing BWV 82 sung by either bass or countertenor, but this version for soprano and cembalo is very appealing, most especially so with Anna Lucia Richter!

Hugh reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

Listening now to Busoni’s  transcription of the chaconne from Bach’s second violin partita on Radio 3 (Gabriella Montero’s 2008 concert from the Edinburgh Festival).

I doubt I will ever stop marvelling at the drama and monumental scale of both the original and transcription. Yet all those notes and huge chords from Busoni, when Bach evokes every nuance of the music with a solo violin.

capriccio reacted
ReplyQuote
(@capriccio)
Stalwart Admin

This is one of those works that drills its way down into the centre of my being. I’m ever thankful that Busoni created this masterful transcription from the master. 

Jen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eldarboy)
Trusted Member

Frank Sinatra’s In The Wee Small Hours. Enjoying a cottage in the Parry Sound area of Ontario.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Eldarboy

Dinah, Jen and capriccio reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jen
(@jen)
Stalwart

It’s a dark and damp afternoon in the north of England.  We are listening to

https://app.idagio.com/albums/debussy-rameau

by candlelight, wide-eyed in wonder at Víkingur Ólafsson’s storytelling.

capriccio reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 14